The Story of AAWA: An organization to take on the Watchtower

Activists like Bo Jensen (left), Barbara Anderson (center), and Paul Grundy (right) are joining forces to raise more awareness about Watchtower’s damaging practices.

Everything has a beginning. And for me, the first glimpse of AAWA, albeit without a name, occurred during a phone conversation. I was writing a story about Bo Juel Jensen for jwsurvey.org back in January 2013.

After being interviewed, Bo remarked, “So Richard, why don’t we use a business model to get the Tower’s full attention? Let’s form a not-for-profit corporation to rally and unite the worldwide ex-JW community. A well organized and focused business could force the Tower to change many of its harmful policies.”

Having been a successful businessman for thirty-three years, what Bo said made perfect sense. Even so, I thought it couldn’t hurt to get a second opinion. So I phoned my friend John Cedars, and asked if he’d ever thought about using a business model—a business plan—to get Watchtower to rethink its damaging policies.

At first, Cedars seemed strangely irritated. It seemed the word business was a sticking point for him. He couldn’t associate such a word with activism against the Watchtower. I persevered, and figured out that it was all just semantics. After all, it does sometimes take a while for a Brit and a Yank to reconcile their English.

When it finally dawned on Cedars that Bo and I were suggesting we apply a business model to the development of an activist organization, he said, “Ooooh! About a month ago I sent John Hoyle an email pitching him that very idea. Would you like to see a copy of it?”

Bingo! Cedars had already drafted a preliminary business plan for a “Council” of Anti-Watchtower activists. It was a great place to start, so we began tweaking Cedars’ original email into a workable business document. We needed a Mission Statement, at least that’s what I called it. Cedars preferred calling it a “Charter.” Again, it was semantics.

An organization takes shape

I suggested that we needed to clearly define the culture of our company—our personal and business values. Amazingly, it didn’t take long to come up with a workable solution. Soon it was time to get advice from critical-thinking ex-JWs who we could rely on to challenge us on our plan, and recommend improvements. So we approached an international panel, bringing in Barbara Anderson, Bo, Paul Grundy, Danmera (Mickey Hudson) and John Hoyle for their input. What it would take to get their buy-in? What should we add, delete or change? And so, gradually, the “light got brighter and brighter” on our idea! The seven of us became founders, making decisions collectively. An organization began to take shape.

After much deliberation, we reached consensus on a name for our brainchild, The Association of Anti-Watchtower Activists (AAWA). The purpose for our business would be to to raise awareness and help people escape a damaging cult. No person in our organization would be allowed to rise to prominence, or use his or her efforts to further any personal agenda.

AAWA would be religiously neutral. Our gripe was not so much with JW beliefs. We all believe that most JWs are good people; all of us having JW family members that we love. AAWA will focus its efforts on five of Watchtower’s most harmful policies, which the Governing Body in their Ivory Tower needs to urgently address. We will extend an offer to meet with them in person to discuss these if they so wish. If they choose to listen and respond wisely, we close up shop. The five policies are:

1. The shunning of family members.
  2. The mishandling of child abuse cases.
  3. The mishandling of domestic abuse cases.
  4. The ban on certain medical treatments involving blood.
  5. The stigmatizing of higher education (college) as the pursuit of materialism and a waste of time.

AAWA was incorporated as a non-profit company on March 7, 2013 and is in the process of being organized into specific teams. Lee Marsh, who has qualifications and experience in the field of support work, joined as an Advisory Board member on March 31, 2013 – bringing the total number of board members to eight. Lee will lead the Support Team, and we are grateful to be adding her skills and experience to our project.

More information about AAWA can be found on our new website at jwactivists.org.

Standing on the shoulders of giants

AAWA aims to build on the legacy of visionaries such as Ray Franz and Randall Watters, who were among the first to take meaningful steps to free the minds of Witnesses

AAWA would not have been possible without the hard work and visionary minds of Ray Franz, Randy Watters, Barbara Anderson, Simon Green and his wife, Angharad – real heroes, who in my mind will take centre stage in the history books as those who bravely stood up to the Watchtower. All of them are critical-thinking people who have helped thousands of people escape the Watchtower’s mental chains. And the number of modern-day internet vigilantes continues to expand.

Marvin Shilmer‘s research and writing skills related to the blood issue are second to none. Ruben Ortiz has created a social networking model on Facebook that has helped hundreds of people, a model that can be used all over the world by ex-JWs. Brenda Lee continues to reach out to young women who have been disfellowshipped, offering them a safe community of friends.

Translators like Roberto di Stefano have already pledged their support for AAWA

And now an international army of AAWA supporters is emerging. Nestor & Toni Kuilan (former missionaries and a District Overseer from Spain) and Roberto di Stefano (former Watchtower translator in Europe and an ex-JW activist) have already committed themselves to help make AAWA’s vision a reality.

My guess is that the Bullies in Brooklyn have underestimated the growing army of passionate people who are saying, “Enough is enough!” We will not remain silent. The leaders of the Watch Tower Society must be held accountable for the harm they inflict daily on current and former JWs alike.

Richard E. Kelly is the author of Growing Up In Mama’s Club, and The Ghosts From Mama’s Club, which are available on Amazon.com

Visit AAWA’s official web page at jwactivists.org

AAWA’s inaugural video…

Bookmark the permalink.

134 Responses to The Story of AAWA: An organization to take on the Watchtower

1. Trapped says:

Brilliant idea! and what a great team!
    No doubt JWs of the ‘Conscious Class ‘ will support this worthy cause…
    Without wanting to sound skeptical, the newly self appointed Slave Class has always been too arrogant to listen to voices of reason…but thanks to the Internet,more and more JWs are waking up to the deception.
    Wishing you all the best .

2. KtotheRAD "Konrad" says:

I suppose this is where I again digress then since it was made quite clear that the “Pharisees” at one time were approved and the teachers of Jehovah’s Word even if The Society ever was or not, I personally have the Society to thank for teaching me about the paradise and the ransom and the basic Bible truths aside from the brutal and unspeakable crimes and abuses that were committed against and witnessed by me in amass…We saw or at least have record of what happen to the Pharisees and their system even though they were absolutely certain beyond certain that they were “Children of Abraham” and had Jehovah’s approval!
    If the punishment for Moses who had a close personal relationship with God and was come to be called “Jehovah’s Friend” was never to enter into the land of Canaan for his presumptuousness, then I hate to think what lying usurpers who beat, rape and abuse the sick and weakest innocents of their own and defend the ones who do with every scheming machination of man’s law to the deceit of those they claim to call their own sheep!
    Does it take an alliance of men to oppose them? I think not!
    I will still choose to wait on Jehovah and his justice which by the looks of events “In the sunrising” and around the world may not be that far off and even if so? I will wait any way…rather than presume upon men to take justice other than authorized law enforcement which looks mighty slow in coming! That’s my take anyway…

• Cedars says:

Thanks Konrad. I’m sorry you seem to feel Watchtower still has some “divinely appointed” role to play, despite its harmful practices and dubious history.

3. Frank says:

I would like to suggest you call yourselves Association for Human Rights for Jehovah’s Witnesses (AHRJW).

Your present name is likely to alienate your target audience by using ‘anti-Watchtower’ in your title. Also it is likely you’ll attract comments and stories that will cause you to lose your focus. After all, all the pillars of purpose you propose are human rights violations, not everything that is right about the Organsation but others have a problem with.

I believe you shouldn’t be AGAINST something as resistance is harder to handle that when you tell people what you are FOR. Most might dismiss you as merely angry.

Then there is the matter of removing the perceived ‘enemy’s’ name from the title and inserting the underdogs’ names – the ones you wish to fight for.

Frank V

• Cedars says:

Thanks Frank. It’s interesting that you don’t think anyone should be against anything. This attitude gives ruthless organizations like Watchtower the perfect opportunity to thrive and oppress others. Activism isn’t for everyone. We don’t ask everyone to support us – we just ask everyone to know that we are here.

• Chuck D says:

As a witness since my early childhood, my mother married into a large witness family. At one time in the 70′s, the family proudly boasted having over 40 members in the truth and doing well. I and my family have experienced the first 2 issues, namely shunning by relatives – which has destroyed my family. And also child abuse mishandling, where the perpetrator was an elder who progressed to a circuit overseer before I got involved and started the process of getting him removed. However, both my sisters who this perpetrator molested are still disfellowshipped, while he is still at large. One got married and moved on with her life and the other is damaged mentally and in very bad shape. My parents who have 12 children only really talk to 2 of them because of all of this mess. I agree that an association should be started to help fight these type of oppressive wolves. I like the name -”United Workers of Light.” I am against all the gag orders, and feel the truth should shine forth in regards to all evil organizations.
      I feel the energy should be put into negotiating compensation for victims of these oppressive organizations. Thus counseling and help can be provided.

4. enlightened says:

Jim Penton should also be informed of this. He has written various books, is from Canada. Lives in Ontario now. Very well educated person, a professor of University prior to retirement.

5. Frank says:

Cedars, this site sets out to fight a war it cannot win. The battle is to win individuals’ minds, not bring down the castle. That may happen but it won’t be by sites like this, not if your beliefs are those of a genuine Christian.

If you call yourselves, “The Association of Anti-Watchtower Activists” you will only confirm yourselves as ‘apostates,’ ‘religious insurgents,’ and ‘opposers,’ and will only vindicate the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society in the eyes of those who are only beginning to doubt. Do you wish to project vitriol for your perceived enemies or show compassion for genuine victims of human rights violations?

Think of theses title; what do they convey?

United Nations

Amnesty International

The International Rights of the Child

Your title you’re supporting has: “Anti-Watchtower,” “Activist,” as its shop window.

The title Association for Human Rights for Jehovah’s Witnesses has the mission statement in the title itself. If you must, you could try: Association Against Human Rights Violations of Jehovah’s Witnesses. It may work but not as attractive.

Do you wish to attract world-wide religious malcontents or thinking people who are persuaded by reason and reason only? If you want a war, that’s what you’ll get. Surely the desire is not to put ‘loyal’ ones’ backs up but to get them to look into the issues presented. Many may not even get past the title.

Frank V

Frank V, you say…
      “You need to remember that heroes like Ray Franz and Randy Watters NEVER intended/intend to ‘fight’ anything, but believe in raising peoples’ consciousness rather than engage in a frontal assault.”

Please stop trying to misrepresent what AAWA is about in order to drive your point home. Using words like “frontal assault” implies violence. Activism does not have to be violent, and neither is AAWA’s. We are activists just like Ray and Randy are/were. They got information across through books and websites. We will get information across through websites, billboards, videos, leaflets and press releases. There is no difference – only in the medium through which the information is disseminated.

If you continue to try to besmerch AAWA with false propaganda to try to drive your point home, I won’t hesitate to eject you from this website. This is not about freedom of speech – this is about the freedom of website users to not be subjected to false information from you.

6. Roger says:

Good initiative. Could I add an additional item that has always bothered me.
    The setting of Dates by the Organization.
    The amount of times this has created confusion and angst is not to be believed. And the Bible is very clear, nobody knows the times, not even the Son, but only the Father.

• Erik says:

Oh yeah! “Dates” are definitely troubling for any thinking bible student. The bible only warns that we should live out our lives on the ready, since we never know…and so we still have to eat, get schooled, work hard, and worship our Creator, without knowing when the times will change or God will act! Setting dates to create a phony different kind of urgency is so manipulative and cruel. I always dismissed the rhetoric and lived a thoughtful life but I knew it was wrong of the Tower.

7. Divide and conquer. Thanks for making a distinction between WatchTower Society and Jehovah’s Witnesses. The 5 Policies are no doubt secretly wanted by current JWs and this new AAWA is a good start to push internal unrest. The purpose of AAWA is far more important than its name. Our voices will be louder than the name. The end result will be justified by name.

• Hakizimana Jean de Dieu says:

Enoch, you are right, The time has come, and this is the right time in my OPINION for the WTS to accept either change or “fall”

8. Frank says:

The problem is, William, that as AAWA gets more powerful, the louder the WTBTS will scream, “Religious persecution by apostates! Persecution, persecution!” This is what war is all about.

Logic tells us to play them at their own game. Play the martyr trump by showing people the double standard employed by denying the same human rights to its own adherents that this religion demands for its own survival.

Age of Enlightenment principles is about encouraging people out of the Dark Ages by persuading them to think (teach them HOW to think, not WHAT to think). Light will conquer darkeness, but in its own time. It won’t happen by telling people they are being brainwashed.

Frank V

• Erik says:

My mother showed me a book; “Forty Years A Watchtower Slave” when I was studying with JWs. I looked at it but she was silent when I asked her what the author of the book was “for”. That confirmed my faith in JWs because I knew intuitively that positivity, not negativity, wins the day. We all know that names are important. I will be waiting to see if you all are humble enough to take the hot button word “Anti” away from your cause. If you do then I can try to show this cause to my many jw friends and loved ones. Then I will at least have reason to hope that some of the seeds I plant will bear good fruit!

9. sal says:

I agree with Frank. The name should be changed. The watchtower will be screaming, ” persecution, persecution! “

10. Bo Juel says:

If they scream because of the name….well, then they scream. I´ll rather have them screaming than thousands of children with no chance to be heard… Dear people, this is not a name contest, this is a struggle to sett people free. And the name will not scare anyone…Four letters AAWA…. Almost like JHVH – thats four letters too….does not scare me! We are going to do this and as we have stated many times, many places; We do not sett out to bring salvation to people, we are here to shine light on the WT dangerous policys, and we are going to be a safe haven to those humans who get kicked out or decides to leave the tower. We are not here to build a big flock of followers. We are not going to be another starry eyed Messiah. Someone else can take that job. We are in business to expose the WT and help the wounded people who are being abused by the cult.

• Erik says:

Dear Bo, You have been so brave. I know you have been scarred more than many have because of the arrogant and cruel policies of the Tower!!! You can now choose to listen to these interested voices about the title of your organization or not. I believe these voices are from mostly brave souls who want to join with you, but their peaceful natures are troubled by a single word. May I ask; Did this issue come up from within the group while you were developing this powerful idea?

11. susanna says:

I must agree with all of the above posts.

If its a organization ,its part of the world.
    Sounds like a trap.
    God forbid if this would ruin, the victory that Barbara and her Lawyers have worked so long for. That case is not closed yet.
    Our Family inside would really view this as a attack from apostates. So you will gain nothing, and possibly be responsible for those inside to stay inside.

Jesus told us what his Father was looking for
    John 4:23-24
    New Living Translation (NLT)

23 But the time is coming—indeed it’s here now—when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth. The Father is looking for those who will worship him that way. 24 For God is Spirit, so those who worship him must worship in spirit and in truth.”

• Hakizimana Jean de Dieu says:

Suzanna, let us not loose the focus. We have five policies listed in the article, that should be the main focus. Whether our family members stay inside or not, it is of little importance, something must be done!!
      Do you feel you are an apostate? The WTS branding us “apostates” should not lead us to loosing the balance; let us ignore what the WTS says and keep the focus!!

• susanna says:

I agree on not loosing our focus . Of course I know we aren’t apostates . That isn’t the point here.

What I am concerned about is the “TIMING .”
        The courts are still open right now with the Watchtower appealing Jehovah’s arrangement of reporting pedophiles to the police That’s the WT’s reason for fighting ,
        Respect for Authority
        13 Everyone must submit to governing authorities. For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God. 2 So anyone who rebels against authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and they will be punished. 3 For the authorities do not strike fear in people who are doing right, but in those who are doing wrong. Would you like to live without fear of the authorities? Do what is right, and they will honor you.***********

,its a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
        The WT is actually refusing to submit to Gods arrangement, it would just be awful if this new move would interfere with Jehovah’s hand, The WT appeals have kept this case open. I think at present the right focus, is to see that Jehovah is NOT finished with this open case .

If the WT won’t submit to the ” Most High”, your organization wouldn’t mean a thing at present.
        Now , once the WT loses this case , Jehovah may just allow you to succeed in your movement against her. ( Speaking only for my self ).

• Redwood says:

Cedar, I have to agree with the majority here. What you are doing has apostasy written all over it as far as far as the WTO is concerned, and you will be just as responsible for stumbling “such ones” as the Skave are

12. Bo Juel says:

Please take a good look at our web page before you draw your conclusions… http://jwactivists.org/our-open-offer/

13. Belgian Bloke says:

bringing the total number of board members to eight

EIGHT board members ? Doesn’t that ring a bell ? ;-)
    Just kidding, keep up the good work!
    Nevertheless, the word ‘anti-watchtower’… hmmm… sounds a bit, you know, too ‘anti’…

• Cedars says:

Thanks Belgian Bloke. I suppose it all depends on whether you approve of activism or not. In my mind, a world without activism of any kind is a world full of bullies who will take advantage of the vacuum of those who will stand up and do something. Watchtower is just such a bully, and has been for many decades. We are all activists (even JWsurvey is an expression of activism) and in order to be an activist you need to be “anti” something. That’s just the way it goes. The important thing is, we are not “Anti-JWs.” They are not the problem. Watchtower is.

14. Belgian Bloke says:

Just reading the mission statement:

Despite this, AAWA understands that the word “cult” carries huge stigma and negativity in the minds of indoctrinated Jehovah’s Witnesses. AAWA is therefore sensitive in its use of this word when trying to help indoctrinated Witnesses awaken from the influence of mind control.

If AAWA intends to be sensitive in their use of words, then again, I certainly would reconsider the word ‘anti’. But then again (I just read Cedar’s reply) I agree the word activist implies ‘anti’. Bo is right: this isn’t a name contest and I wish you guys all the best.

Greetz,

a semi-lurking belgian fader

15. Johnny Joker says:

The Hungarian exjw movement (and the Central Europe countries: Romania, Slovakia, Croatia, etc.) will join.

Cedars, I would like to give you an idea:

Every site that join the association should get a logo to place on the site, and link the AAWA homepage on the picture.

The video is really powerful. We may translate the AAWA main pages and also make a hun subtitle for the video. The joining translators could start with that.

16. Hakizimana Jean de Dieu says:

Count me among those whom you have helped and who will support WHOLE-HEARTED the AAWA. I can really foresee tremendous success of this initiative that will benefit MANY PEOPLE AROUND THE WORLD!!

I sometimes wonder where I would be if I was isolated from the world of critical thinkers after my dissociating with the WTS officially in February 2012.

In my country, many people think the WTS is a safe organization and when you voice out how “silent killers elders are” with your experience, no one listens to you and its painful!!. Enough is Enough, something must be done!!

17. Hakizimana Jean de Dieu says:

Cedars, you are right! What delights me is that the idea has come in the right time when I can feel a significant degree of awareness about WTS’s cruelty. Something must be done!! Did you konw they have scheduled “The Truth Brings “Not Peace, But a Sword” (Matthew10:32-38) on their 2013 program of District Convention? Your ideas are bright, the battle is already won.

18. rev says:

I don’t know frank i think we have room for a few different types of work.I like the human rights angle.I’m just saying we should recognize a place for more aggressive areas of advancement.

19. BeenMislead says:

I agree with Roger. Setting dates and/or using loaded language such as “Very Soon Jehovah will bring an end to this system of things” is less than truthful/misleading. They continue to do this to this day which stirs up peoples emotions and keeps them enslaved.

Scriptural reasons why making an absolute statement of the end being: “Very Soon”, “in the Near Future” or “Just around the Corner” is misleading:

“Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father.” – Matthew 24:36

“Keep on the watch, therefore, because you do not know on what day your Lord is coming.” – Matthew 24:42

“He said to them: “It does not belong to YOU to get knowledge of the times or seasons which the Father has placed in his own jurisdiction.” – (Or, “appointed times.” Footnote) – Acts 1:7

Loaded language (also known as emotive language, high-inference language or language persuasive techniques) is wording that attempts to influence the certain audience by using an appeal to emotion. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_language )

20. messenger4truth says:

Firstly, I would like to say as an ex-jw, that the idea all though
    being well well intentioned seems to have religious bias towards the Watchtower. By calling itself Association of the “Anti-Watchtower”!
    What religious ‘discriminations’ will that have under the legal system? Secondly, my research if correct shows you are fighting the biggest and wealthiest people on the earth. That the Watchtower and other religions are deceptively owned by the likes
    of Rothschilds and Rockafellas, masonic members with lots of power
    and influence, even in courts. And finally, no matter how much I detest the way the WT.org runs it’s mind control on people, I think as a religious person believing in Jesus Christ. That we should follow Jesus’s example and not get bogged down trying to
    crush, what in my opinion, seems to be is an anti-christ religion!
    But should rather let God do the judging and take respective action upon should awful man made religions in His ‘own time’!
    After all the last thing we want to become is even bigger hypocrites at judging others than the GB of the WT.org are.

21. messenger4truth says:

Probably, would be better calling it:
    Association Against Religious Oppression of Human Rights.

22. Wayne says:

I am so encouraged to hear of your association may your hard work not go unrecognized. Messenger4truth You share my sentiments. I too know that the Watchtower was and is funded by the Rothchilds. They use the Rothchilds banks. They are as we know a high mind control group. From all the research I have done C T Russell was a 32nd degree Mason it is a matter of record. (Cedars I sent you information on this but never heard back so I assumed you disagree) I have not left simply because I have too much family to loose and they would steal their hearts in a second. But my mind has left. I no longer consider myself a christian more of a thinker and I do feel that we are the creators of our life experience and that there is no god waiting to punish us. We are the only ones that can truly love ourselves and we must do what is best ourselves and ourselves alone. Again folks thanks for what you are doing your tireless work will one day help all to see the truth about the truth. LIES

23. 70wksofyrs says:

What a great idea! I will support anyway I can. I feel for those suffering and if there is a way to help those sheep who need it, I support it!

24. This is a new organization and it is our free decision to participate or not to participate in it. I recall the famous words:

“First they came for the socialists.
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a socialist.
    Then they came for the trade unionists.
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a trade unionist.
    Then they came for the Jews.
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a Jew.
    Then they came for me.
    and there was no one left to speak for me.”

For many years I have been helping ex witnesses and hidden witnesses, one by one only when I am able to contact them. I think this a GRAND opportunity to give massive help and that is what we want to do. We have to be courageous and call things by their name, we are activists and we are against a terrible organization.

25. KtotheRAD "Konrad" says:

“it is our free decision to participate or not to participate in it…”

It most certainly is, and where we all are coming from an organization of such absolute and abhorrent, inappropriate control of every quadrant of life and intimate decision making, I cherish the very Right to make such conscientious decisions. Far be it from me to impose on that freedom or interject my views on the consciences of others since we sure saw enough of that, haven’t we? I’ve already expressed my position and I do believe that no resolution will come successfully or permanently at the hand of man other than whatever criminal charges are justly pressed where applicable. It clearly wouldn’t change too may opinions at this point if I or anyone did …
    That being said, it is patent and indisputable with evidence in reams “To the Heavens” that such ones who slaughter and murder those whom they falsely claim as their own sheep will account.
    If they ever believed that they would continue indefinitely in that course with no accounting? They were not simply pathological in their criminal behavior but fundamental fools unto themselves!
    I come from and education background with a Father who is a retired teacher, a Brother who was also a Teacher, My other Brother married my 5th grade Teacher who was my father’s former student while she was my teacher and I taught post secondary briefly…I believe in communication and proper, accurate edification as the solution to most things which is another reason why I despise “Disfellowshipping” (in the absolute sense) aside from the fact that it is unscriptural and abusive. Not communicating and exchanging thoughts, ideas, information and emotions between Human Beings is virtually never a solution to anything!
    I still hold to the spiritual solution but that “each must render an accounting” and make a decison in accord with their conscience…

26. KtotheRAD "Konrad" says:

@ Cedars ~ “Thanks Konrad. I’m sorry you seem to feel Watchtower still has some “divinely appointed” role to play, despite its harmful practices and dubious history” ~ I believe they will pay! they as selected or as part of the overall big picture or not is irrelevant but I firmly believe that they will account…and the history is in fact dubious!
    There’s no doubt about that…

27. Toni Kuilan says:

Congratulations to all the brave people that thought up this wonderful, freeing organization for us. I am overwhelmed, happy and elated! It brings back those troublesome days at Bethel when both my husband, Nestor and I had to make our decision. He was to be disfellowshiped for not relating his conversations with Ray Franz and Ray had told him to go ahead and tell them. But then Nestor said: “Am I a man or a mouse?” He turned to me and said: “You know what this means and how it will go over with your witness family, what do you want to do?” I said I could not live my families life and had to be true to myself. So we made our decision and it’s been 33 years since. How happy and proud I feel to have made that decision. But it doesn’t come without pain and sorrow. My mother, father and brother shunned us but after 30 years of separation my mother had to come and spend her last days in our house and we lovingly took her in and looked after her. Before she died she asked Nestor to pray with her. It’s going to take the same or more courage to stand up to the WTS but we must all make our decisions and live with them. Thank you all and count us in to do all we can as we had previously in Spain and Puerto Rico and the whole wide world. I am honored to be a part of such a group. Thank you!

28. Assume Nothing says:

I’m not so sure the use of the term “Anti-Watchtower” is a bad idea. It’s very forthright, and the AAWA can never be accused of pretending to be something it’s not. It testifies to the seriousness of the situation and it makes it more difficult for the WTBTS to skate by as a fringe Christian group.

29. Aunt Fancy says:

Thank you to everyone who worked to put this together. It is encouraging to see so many from the different sites come together and try to make some changes. I think it is time to unite and make an even bigger impact. Count us in to do what we can.

30. Frank says:

Cedars obviously feels that I am an apostate to his perceived orthodoxy.

Here’s why I will never become a member of AAWA:

Acts 5;29

It is not that I don’t applaud the motive, it is that if the site insists on being called “Anti-Watchtower” it may as well be called “AntiChrist” as far as your presumed target audience.

I am not ‘anti-Watchtower’ despite the chip on my shoulder, but I am FOR the human rights of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

If this site intends to attract followers after itself, be warned.

Frank V

• Cedars says:

Frank, you’ve made your pre-conceived notions about AAWA abundantly clear, thank you. I have removed your ridiculous comment that attempts to equate AAWA with “mental terrorists.” If you attempt to spam this site again with outrageous and unfounded propaganda about our new organization, you will be deleted. I hope that’s clear. You’ve pushed my patience for long enough now, and I won’t have people on this site who wilfully spread lies in order to get their point across. As I mentioned in my “Is JWsurvey.org an apostate website?” article, I have never had any interest in aquiring followers, and that continues to be the case. http://jwsurvey.org/cedars-blog/is-jwsurvey-org-an-apostate-website

My work for AAWA is entirely separate from my work for this site. As founder of JWsurvey I am solely interested in getting people information to people. What they do with it and where they go next is their business. If you continue to try to misrepresent me or the projects I am involved in, don’t expect a warm welcome next time you try to comment. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech. It has everything to do with this being my site and you being a monumental pain in the ass.

31. Richard E.Kelly says:

Toni, thank you for sharing a small portion of your story. I know that Nestor plans to share the full story to the AAWA community and the world in Spanish. A story that should make it very clear to everyone that the Watchtower Society cares little about social justice. I think it does no one any good to sugar coat the harm initiated by this group in the name of God. I for one am anti-Watchtower for its damaging policies.

32. Hakizimana Jean de Dieu says:

Frank, you say “But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.”‘

Acts 5;29

These men: Who are those men in your opinion? The Watchtower???? Read the book “the Finished Mystery” and tell me if they are from God.

If you want to use the Bible to prove they are from God, let me help you concerning the Watchtower:

“‘However, the prophet who presumes to speak in my name a word that I have not commanded him to speak or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die. And in case you should say in your heart: “How shall we know the word that Jehovah has not spoken?” when the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word does not occur or come true, that is the word that Jehovah did not speak. With presumptuousness the prophet spoke it. You must not get frightened at him.’ (Deuteronomy 18:20-22).

Are frightened at the Watchtower, do not join and study the history and learn to calculate the number of men who were killed after being labelled “Apostates”? Why was Galileo killed?

THOSE WHO WERE KILLED IN THE PAST AS APOSTATES ARE PRAISED TODAY BY THE WATCHTOWER AND USED TO CRITICIZE THE CATHOLIC CHURCH. Show me a certificate from God approving the Watchtower as “God’s organization” I will buy in your ideas!!

33. Anonymous says:

Richard, I too am against damaging policies and for the human rights of Jehovah’s Witnesses. I do not think juxtaposing “Human Rights” with “Jehovah’s Witnesses” is ‘sugar-coating’ anything.

There was a very notable principle I remember from one of my favourite parts of the 1970s Poseidon Adventure. When the ship turned upside down, the survivors got together and decided what the best thing to do. Some said they would go to the stern of the the ship for rescue, others said the better way to go was upwards for salvation. The only difference between me and you is that I choose to go up.

Frank V

34. Frank says:

Hakizimana, there is no doubt that the WTBTS
    has lost the plot. Being errant doesn’t mean that the claims are false. I could regale you with innumerous Bible stories about God’s wrath upon the errant, however I think you know about them already.

Gamaliel was warning his fellow pharisees about their plots and intrigues. We know he was right. We know nothing of the sort. If the AAWA wants its pound of flesh, let it get in line; there are plenty awaiting payment. Either way it’s only another brick in the wall. It is time for a new direction.

If you think I’m afraid of the Watchtower I invite you to go to JW Stuggle and many later sites on JW Survey to read many of my comments. Why do think that because I am asking the creators of this site to reconsider their approach that this equates with my fear of the WTBTS?

I became a theistic agnostic because of the way I was treated and what I have since discovered in my research, but I believe that removing dangerous emotions from any resistance is the way to go. You seem angry at me; is that right?

Don’t you think we have enough war on Earth? Isn’t it time the WT gets to starve of oxygen in favour of giving the victims a look-in? This is what it should be about – Jehovah’s Witnesses, not mud-slinging at an organisation that GOD WILL JUDGE, NOT US.

Help the walking wounded to recover and let greater powers do the rest.

Frank V

35. Cedars says:

“Not game to face the Court of Public Opinion, Cedars?” – no, not game to put up with you any longer Frank V. Deleted.

36. AWAKENOW says:

Cedars, while I agree and feel an organized effort can be more effective and taken more seriously when directed under a legal entity (especially on a global scale), I have mixed thoughts. On the one hand I’m happy to see this new development.

On the other hand I can’t understand why more people weren’t invited to contribute some input on this particular topic prior to the definitive formation of the AAWA. Perhaps in a survey with questions about what some would like to have seen in the purpose and structure of an organization that they could serve in, that would represent their voice and concerns, and that would confront the WT Society and the GB policy. Is it to late for something like that? Were you considering doing something like that in the near future?

Thanks again for all you do, and my best to the AAWA team. Congrats on the new website.

• Cedars says:

AWAKENOW – the simple answer to your question, i.e. “why weren’t we consulted?” is simply this… we have no real way of knowing who “we” are (meaning no disrespect to you personally). JWsurvey is about canvassing the opinions of ALL Jehovah’s Witnesses about the organization and its beliefs, including those who are supportive of the Watchtower. The same model cannot be applied to forming an organization whose sole intention is to oppose the Watchtower. Do we really want to include Watchtower apologists in the formulating of strategies and a sound business model?

Simply put, there is really no way for sure of knowing the personal agendas of all who visit JWsurvey for a project of such strategic importance, which is why I would rather get involved in something like this with a small close-knit group of individuals who I can talk to on the phone or via Skype. If anyone wants to approach it differently and get all and sundry involved in a similar project, they are welcome to try.

37. russell says:

I believe TIME is our greatest weaon.the WTBTS always have to come up with a reason why their “prophecies and understandings” always fail and will continue to do so.

38. messenger4truth says:

Good day, Nestor Kuilian, I appreciate your motives and courage!
    But I think for global legal reasons and the ‘negative limelight’ title you are giving yourselves on this broad fight towards the watchtower. Will only go against you in most if not all matters. I am sure that this association will help others, other than JWs, in mind control strife of having their dignity and human rights removed by a cult (my opinion).
    So I would like to say I strongly support the ‘idea’ of giving assistance to members of false religions/cults. But have an inclination that unless you reconsider a more neutral title.
    The title, AAWA, will only greatly weaken all your efforts in
    combating the forces of religious oppression in court battles if that is what you are aiming for, eventually?
    But I think that God will do His own judgement upon them in His appointed time as with all anti-christ religions and powers.

• Hakizimana Jean de Dieu says:

Why MORE neutral title in front of worldwide cries, children crying because of the Watchtower? Instead of thinking of a neutral title we should think on how we will effectively deal with Watchtower’s reactions on the name which I love. Let’s face the reality!!

Read *** w94 7/1 p. 12 par. 11 At Which Table Are You Feeding? *** you will find these words referring to “Apostates”: They seem inoculated with madness, Satanic hydrophobia [rabies]. Some of them smite us and then claim that we did the smiting. They are ready to say and write contemptible falsities and to stoop to do meanness.”

Are these words neutral? They were WRITTEN AND STUDIED as coming from God Jehovah almost 20 years ago, have you witnessed any change!! I think the title “AAWA” is the right one!! We will help those who seek help, and we will be saying what we have WITNESSED NOT BASELESS TALES!!

39. Marco says:

Dear brothers and sisters,

i come from Germany and my English isn´t very well. I want writing my thoughts about the article and i want say it with following Words of the bible:

Röm 12:19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

1Ko 4:5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.

Every “flock” will be saved and in Hesekiel Jahwe says:

Hes 34:15 “I will feed my flock, and I will cause them to lie down, saith the Lord GOD. Hes 34:16 I will seek that which was lost, and bring again that which was driven away, and will bind up that which was broken, and will strengthen that which was sick: but I will destroy the fat and the strong; I will feed them with judgment. Hes 34:17 And as for you, O my flock, thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I judge between cattle and cattle, between the rams and the he goats.”

I think, we fight FOR Jesus, but not AGAINST the WTO. Ok, thats my thoughts . I pray for my brothers and sisters in every country, and it´s good to see this people all over the world, they think by themself and don´t let the WTO have might over their lifes. :-)

See you. Marco

• Hakizimana Jean de Dieu says:

Marco, you have used the Bible and you seem to be for the Watchtower’s trap “leave the matters in Jehovah’s hands”!! but as you have used the bible read the following”

Consequently Jehovah said: “The cry of complaint about Sod′om and Go•mor′rah, yes, it is loud, and their sin, yes, it is very heavy. I am quite determined to go down that I may see whether they act altogether according to the outcry over it that has come to me, and, if not, I can get to know it.” (GENESIS 18:20-21)!!

DO YOU THINK GOD HAD TO TAKE ACTION BEFORE “THE LOUD CRY OF COMPLAINT ABOUT SODOM AND GOMORRAH…”!! Think about it!!!

40. Assume Nothing says:

AAWS is a secular organization right? I get the feeling from some of the responses that a few believe the AAWS is conducting some kind of spiritual warfare, but that’s false, right?

• Cedars says:

Correct. There is no “spiritual warfare” involved in our organization, because we are religiously neutral. We are purely focused on Watchtower’s damaging policies, and helping people escape mind control.

41. AWAKENOW says:

Anybody out there?

42. Extractor says:

MANY people seem to be in error on the main purpose of AAWA. They seem think it exists to get current JWs to leave the WT. Key Objective #2 is to “assist those who WISH to leave”. Even S. Hassan has said if someone doesn’t want to leave a cult, they won’t. AAWA’s Objective #1 about exposing the WT inside & outside makes it unique &, I believe, is it’s true strength. Unsuspecting people still join this cult. I applaud the brave individuals who are putting this together. The WT is a viscious cult that hurts people with impunity & needs to be vigoriously exposed to the world. I say go get ‘em AAWA Board. Don’t get discouraged!

43. Brenda Lee says:

Folks, we need to stay focused on the objectives of this group. We won’t all agree on everything all the time, but any headway we make in educating the general population, helping those who want to leave, and putting public pressure on the Watchtower to recognize its human rights violations is success in my book, which by the way is called “Out of the Cocoon” (just threw that in for those reading this who may not know me).

No group is free of growing pains and we will certainly have many. However, let’s not lose sight of why we are here to begin with: The Watchtower lies to, abuses, and tries to control individuals both inside and outside the organization. It has abused ALL of us. These human rights violations need to stop. Now is the time! Let’s all stop talking about it and DO something!

44. Aunt Fancy says:

Brenda, I read your book and it was very interesting. I never put it together that you were the one in this book. I remember a post where you made a comment that you were writing a book and I never saw anything after that. Thank you for the time and energy you give to help others!

45. 70wksofyrs says:

1.The shunning of family members.
    2.The mishandling of child abuse cases.
    3.The mishandling of domestic abuse cases.
    4.The ban on certain medical treatments involving blood.
    5.The stigmatizing of higher education (college) as the pursuit of materialism.

These policies are damaging, I agree. Many misuse the Bible principles and harm trusting sheep. Especially children, teens and the elderly. Many JW’s are loving and kind, they would never willing harm precious individuals.

I believe much of what the magazines say is helpful even though many do not practice the fine guidance. My aim is to get reinstated and search out genuine loving ones including my children to give my time to. My aim is also to stay away from ones who support the damaging practices.

Cedars, please dont send me anymore posts. Your efforts to expose have worked with me, and now, as we do not have the same aims it is time to part company.

I wish you all the best to teach others what you have taught me.

Warm regards
    70wksofyrs

• Cedars says:

Thanks 70wksofyears – I wish you well on your journey. Feel free to return if ever you tire of the lunacy of the organization, or if only because you miss us so much! :)

46. Willows says:

The one area of Human Rights that should be targeted is the European Court of Human Rights in relation to the family, the family has rights that no corporation can interfear with. Organizations are quick to go to this forum and demand their rights. How would it look that such an organization was withholding family rights?//// Human Rights!!!
    If you want to be an activist, then put your case together and present it to the European Court of Human Rights. In all fairness give the Watchtower notice of your intention. Registered mail. If ignored present your case and let them decide. The rights of the family will not be ignored. They are the foundamental foundation of all communities, governmental and religious. When the rights of the family are abused society falls apart. Every mother,father,son and daughter,brother or sister,grand mother or grandfather, aunt or uncle is important. As the European Court of Human Rights will confirm!!!!!!

47. AWAKENOW says:

Cedars, thanks for your reply. I get your point and I understood that perspective prior to my post. Obviously you don’t know us (posters) personally and this is not favorable to whom you would trust to go into business with. You did say this was being set up as a business entity. So I’m refering to data, raw data, like any business would gather and analyze prior to and after launch. It’s just basic marketing.

The same model (JWsurvey) “cannot be applied to forming an organization whose sole intention is to oppose the Watchtower.” Yes, I get that. “Do we really want to include Watchtower apologists in the formulating of strategies and a sound business model?” Not preferably, but actually you may even find useful information there as well that could be used to your strategic advantage. I’m sure you know marketing data is meant to be analyzed and parsed for business purposes. You can always discard what is undesirable. Surely, by asking the right questions something of value in line with AAWA objectives could be gained from visitos and the community you have participating on this site. No?

The zeal in nobility of the cause and the need for action can often supercede the methods of operation. When part of your brand and marking stategy is positioning your organization as the voice for the voiceless (as a global collective) and taking action in their behalf and others to “oppose the Watchtower,” you may be sanctioning what you will say or do without reasonable and fair consent of the majority. That majority that you claim connection to (and in part hope to recruit) may in fact have ligitimate concerns and resevations about AAWA which have initially gone unsollicited and now seem to be irrelevant. However if you market AAWA as a secular entity funtioning solely in its own interest, for its own purpose, with its own agenda, without the promotional props (like the voices have been heard, now AAWA is ready to act) …. well, that’s different and then my point would be mute.

You concluded “If anyone wants to approach it differently and get all and sundry involved in a similar project, they are welcome to try.” So I guess that answers my question as to wether you will be polling the comunity here for input. Certainly you don’t have to have anyone’s input outside your inner circle to start a venture but I think most business minded people agree that if your business is going to touch so many people in so many ways, it can be wise and enhance success when you do so.

Look, I know it is what it is. It’s already done and I’m sure it will be tweaked along the way. I praise your effort and the cause and I wish you success. Thank’s for letting me have my say.

48. KtotheRAD "Konrad" says:

Paul Grundy made some very interesting comments and provided the logical arithmetic equations from The Watchtower Society itself in his site JWfacts.com, regarding the practicality and realstic notion of only active Jehovah’s Witnesses being “Saved” at Armageddon.
    Anyone who has travelled or experienced life in any measure of fulness knows the kinds of diverse conditions that people are living under in the world are so extreme and unbelievable that to the traditional western, “Leave it to Beaver” mindset…they are but unfathomable!
    Aside from war wich is ever present, there is famine and indentured servitude, imprisonment and enslavement as well as enslavement to poverty and crime, violent abusive sex industry etc. Home abuse that is unspeakable and tribal and religious circumstances that prohibit any knowlege of other religious instruction. Physical and emotional disabilities in and out of institution whether in state or family custody that are far too profound to negotiate religious instruction.
    1/2 of the world’s population alone is contained in India and China together and that does not include the religiously detached, isolated and somewhat suppressed Islamic nations of the Middle East. Circumstances that are far beyond the control of the many.
    Well, for so many years the Society has staked dubious claim over the lives of “Human Souls” as the Bible says and made claim as well over what activities would take place in the end while directing such vile and abusive condemnations at other Religions who were due such wrath as part of the “Great Harlot”. We were told over and over how, “I will never see mourning” and all the entitlements applied to the evil entities of all other Religions but not The Watchtower Society who alone would be spared the wrath of the Governments when they turn on the Harlot.
    But nowhere in the scriptures is there a provision for a legal or corporate, organized entity to survive through into the new world! Can anyone find such a basis? Only “A great crowd out of every nation..standing before the throne and the lamb”
    What a shock it would be if the Evil Slave were counted among the Great Harlot or worse! “Beaten with the greatest severity” and only true worshippers of Jehovah were spared or anyone else according to Providence when “Gog of Magog” finally turned his wrath to them directly? (As described in Ezekiel)
    No one here is a Prophet or claims to be but it will certainly be interesting to see how things pan out as opposed to how they were portrayed!

49. Michael says:

Great idea to create a united front. However, with regards to this comment, I think frank v. has some highly valid points, and I would have expected you to not have been so quick to dismiss them all. To be more open minded is something I thought many ex-witnesses would be trying to be after having been closed minded as part of the WT organisation. I have only bothered to comment on this comment because as a previous reader of this blog I was a little surprised to read this response from Cedars.

• Cedars says:

Frank V was dismissing AAWA before it has even started doing anything, using sensationalist expressions like “frontal assault” and “mental terrorists” to drive his point home. If you prefer his viewpoint to mine, I can put you in touch with him and you can ask him to start his own website which you can subscribe to. But I won’t put up with people on here who deliberately lie and exaggerate just to get their point across.

• Hakizimana Jean de Dieu says:

Michael, think twice on what do you mean by open minded. Being “Open minded” does not mean being “NARROW – MINDED”! Failing to understand clear and timely initiatives like “AAWA” for me equals being “narrow minded”. Frank V. needs more exercise to think widely and let “AAWA” move ahead freely!

50. JimmyG says:

I agree with Michael’s comments. The way I see it, Frank V was only questioning the name of AAWA and suggesting an alternative ‘human rights’ angle. He may have got a little excited in the way he expressed himself, but don’t we all at times when we’re passionate about something?

I noticed several others have offered similar comments and I too think he has valid points.

51. alanv says:

And I agree with with Frank and Sal. Witnesses love it when they can show they are being persecuted. Same with demos outside Kingdom Halls. It simply confirms what they have been told namely that they will be persecuted for speaking what they see as the truth.

52. Michael says:

I generally respect your reasoning powers, analytical thinking, and ability to communicate ideas effectively through your posts. While I did find it a little more difficult to understand where frank v. was coming from immediately, I ultimately interpreted his perspective to not be against the AAWA initiative, but simply highlighting how the name could prevent heavily indoctrinated WT members from listening. As you may have deleted some posts I could have missed something though. However, I considered frank v’s mention of ‘a frontal assault’ to be referring to the potential perspective of WT members who have been trained (like we all were) to resist and flee away from negative sentiments concerning the WT society and their beliefs in general.

I personally haven’t made up my mind as to what would ultimately be the best approach when it comes to a name for something like this, but I think the name may be more important than some say, and worthy of community discussion, if community discussion does interest you.

Please continue your well balanced posts, and all the best with your passionate pursuit of the new venture.

53. Assume Nothing says:

I think the name is fine. It’s descriptive and to the point.

Setting up a non-profit that disputes the policies and procedures of a religious organization doesn’t qualify as persecution. Persecution means to oppress or harass. That isn’t happening. The fact that the Watchtower Society has broadened the definition to include ‘opposition to their viewpoint’ doesn’t change it’s true meaning.

If you changed the name to something like “Advocates for the Right’s of Jehovah’s Witnesses” or something, you would only be dismissed as a ‘wolf in sheep’s clothing’. I think it’s much better to state that you oppose the Watchtower directly.

I also don’t think the goal of AAWA is convert the deeply indoctrinated (Cedar please correct me if I’m wrong). It appears the purpose is to highlight the questionable policies and make the public aware of them. This is protective of certain individuals who may get caught up in all the ‘feel good’isms that are pumped out by their publishers. It’s dissemination of information. You aren’t going to get every Witness to reconsider their beliefs, nor are you going to prevent every new bible study or baptism. But the fact that AAWA exists and highlights certain things that the Watchtower attempts to sweep under the rug gives individuals a better shot at making an appropriate decision for themselves.

If someone decides that they aren’t going to consider every angle, and pretend that these issues don’t exist, there isn’t much you can do for them.

54. KtotheRAD "Konrad" says:

I don’t wish to be drawn into an issue that is not mine but in Cedars’ defense and in all “Frankness” ( no pun intended) , Frank V although very intelligent and having offered some excellent points at times on this forum has a propensity for turning on those who don’t align themselves with him and his thinking. He did so with me in the past.
    He virtually commandeered and attempted to drive me from the site once. Read back through the forum if you will…
    I believe that Cedars’ patience are remarkable actually and far beyond the limits of mine!
    We’ve all had some bad experiences and carry some heavy loads so it is a lot to consider when dealing with people on here…

55. AWAKENOW says:

I’ve read numerous comments here regarding the AAWA name and some good points have been made for and against. The “Society” is a seasoned pro at defending and protecting its interests. They paved the road of religious litigation and have deeper pockets than most of us can imagine. They are one of the best, if not the best in the business. They are masterful at camouflage and can change their color and skin to obscure detection or avoid attackers. They have developed an expert game plan to address serious dissension and emerging division among the rank and file. And they know how to neutralize opposers.

We’ve seen the playbook before and will likely see it again – Isolate, ignore, discredit, demonize. If necessary, separate and discard, regroup, apply name change. If you know your WT/JW history, you know they’ve already done this on an organizational level several times and can easily do it on a corporate level. (Note the Russell, Rutherford eras, modern GB maneuvers). The Society operates numerous corporations, if it wants to it can play the shell game as a public and legal cover. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporations_of_Jehovah%27s_Witnesses)

Just a thought – What happens if the WT succeeds in keeping the AAWA at arms length for an extended time while the AAWA is emerging and solidifying, then as a strategic move (though it will cost them a few pennies) change their legal name to something else? Wouldn’t the AAWA have to address this in their name and media materials as well in order to publicly target their activism and keep the ‘former’ WT Society in legal crosshairs? I’m thinking this could be expensive and problematic for a fledgling activist organization. The Society could have them fighting a ghost.

56. davidsf says:

Another policy you might want to add to your list….

6) Refusal to exercise Christian humility and humbly admit when they’re wrong.

57. Hakizimana Jean de Dieu says:

Cedars,
    I have failed to post my comments for the last 5 days, what’s wrong?

58. Anonymous says:

Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Through the Watchtower Society is performed to perfection.

59. Anonymous says:

I’m afraid that people are powerless against wts

60. Ann a.k.a Gypsy Sam says:

Cedars and everyong involved, Great job on the video!!! Well done on having a variety of people, yet none that monopolized the time. Expertly shot and edited.
    Brenda Lee, I recently read your book and really enjoyed it. Glad to see you charted your own course and persevered in pursuing your education, freedom and happiness. You are right – we need to stay focused on the objectives and not get too hung up on whether we like the name. I was put off at first, but that is because I’ve only recently learned TTATT. Now, I look forward to lending support to this organization.

61. Anonymous says:

Dear Hakizimana Jean de Dieu,

thank you for your answer. I´m not for the Wt-trap… I only think, it´s ok to get some information and i´m sure, jwsurvey make a good job. But also it´s not our fight. I´m “apostate” since October 2012, only why we talking about our Lord Jesus. Nothing else, I don´t talk with the elders about subliminals, or other informations from “critical websites”. And I´m happy about many “new” Brothers and Sisters and in the last few years, I can help some of them, to kept there Belief. For many of us, it would be hard to see, that the WTO are a big liar. But when we only fight against the WTO, and don´t think about these biblewords, it may be, that we be to full of ourself. In Germany we say: nip the things in the bud. My comment are only a word of caution, nothing else.

Best regards to everyone…
    Marco

P.S. Sorry for my grammatical faults … ;-)

62. Dear friends,
    Thank you for AAWA! I’m in!
    Your Belgian fellow ex-JW,
    Patrick

63. Steve Otta says:

I have to agree with the comments about changing the name to something without “anti” in the name. We know what you’re against but what are you for? It is an important distinction. I have been an activist since I left 35 years ago and names are important. For example, it is better to be for peace or non-violence than to be anti-war. You will turn off your target audience with anti-Watchtower in the name.

64. Nathalie says:

There is no trickery God watches over his sheep

• Hakizimana Jean de Dieu says:

Nathalie, God should watch over his PEOPLE TOO. I guess I am not talking to an”other sheep”, right? Do you read the Bible? If yes, Read Ecclesiastes 1:12-13 “I, the congregator, happened to be king over Israel in Jerusalem.And I set my heart to seek and explore wisdom in relation to everything that has been done under the heavens—the calamitous occupation that God has given to the sons of mankind in which to be occupied. I saw all the works that were done under the sun, and, look! everything was vanity and a striving after wind.” RUN THROUGH PAGES of YOUR BIBLE and read Romans 8:20 “For the creation was subjected to futility, not by its own will but through him that subjected it, on the basis of hope”

THERE IS NO TRICKERY GOD SHOULD WATCH OVER HIS PEOPLE TOO!!

65. Héroe says:

And what’s next? Your own organisation with your own governing body? Why is it that we all need to feel that we belong to something?do you really need this?

66. Cesar says:

Put up or shut up. Frank V told you like it is and you didn’t like it.

67. Hakizimana Jean de Dieu says:

So what?

68. Erik says:

I’m just wondering why my last comments couldn’t get themselves posted? This seems like such an important dialogue. Is there a glitch in the machine?

69. Toska says:

Censorship.

70. Erik says:

71. Anonymous says:

“I think I am like most jw’s and ex-jw’s in that my sense of trust has been very much shaken by my dealings with the wtbts who claim to care sooo much about me, but, they DON’T”

You don’t get yet that you are dealing with a DEATH DEALING criminal enterprise? What will it take? The Steven Unthank Story wasn’t enough? Candace Conti wasn’t enough? All the Silent Lambs aren’t enough? All of the court transcripts around the US and the criminal proceedings and indictments/hearings in Australia aren’t enough? All that people posted and linked on this forum and all over JWN and topix and across the Internet wasn’t enough?

• Erik says:

It’s all very disturbing Anonymous yes, and I do not intend to hide and do nothing. I do not want to be guilted into choosing my course of action. Please do not do that.

72. KtotheRAD "Konrad" says:

My guess is that the Bullies in Brooklyn have underestimated the growing army…

Well it was pretty stupid if they did since they virtually built the Army themselves with their own wanton campaign of disfellowshipping terror! Just more evidence of no love and not having God’s blessing…as if any more were needed!
    They should have seen it coming and growing far off on the horizon and all the grief with it…I suppose that was simply another symptom of the delusional pathology.

73. Jen says:

Maybe you have to be a German (I grew up in the West of Germany) to see what I see, but alone the word “watchtower” always reminds me of walls, that are built to separate people.

Metaphorically speaking it looks as if the Watchtower Company has built up a wall that is made of their believe, their truth and their business ideas. Those you are trapped inside that wall are not allowed to be part of the beautiful world outside, because the world outside doesn’t support the Watchtower business ideas. So the Watchtower strictly observes the wall and manipulates the trapped ones to keep them silent inside. The Watchtower tells them many lies about the world outside. Finally the trapped ones feel save inside. And of course, they are also afraid to resist against the Watchtower, now that they believe that the Watchtower protects them of the world outside, a world that finally turned ugly because of Watchtower propaganda. They don’t even dare to think about looking over that wall again. I could go on and on describing further metaphorical connections between walls and watchtowers due to historic events I have experienced.

In this internet age it is just not possible anymore to hide people away from the truth. Therefore the mental wall which the Watchtower controls got chapped. Someday it will break. Both sides of the mental wall will need a lot of help and time to feel united again, when the wall finally collapses. There will be a lot of hurt and emotional abuse to get over, but it will get better day by day and lots of families will find together again. I am sure, as years go by and wounds will heal, nobody will miss the Watchtower. Humanity does not need watchtowers.

74. Newly Enlightened says:

Hi Cedars, I’ve seen some of the negative post you and your new website have received over on JWN. I’m sorry and feel bad that they have been so judgmental. I understand some of them were ‘outted’ to their JW friends and family. But I also know how Facebook works and it’s not your fault. I enjoy your comments and topics on JWN and if I could meet anyone on there and sit around a campfire and talk over a few ‘pints’, it would be you.

Gojira [My daughter] had to post a new topic explaining to people that ANYTHING they comment on, liked, or joined the group would show up on their Facebook page.
    That is the chance any of us take when we’re trying to balance between two different lives. Keep up the good work to every one that is doing this to HELP people.
    Big hugs to everyone who has worked so hard to make AAWA a reality.

75. KtotheRAD "Konrad" says:

“I’ve seen some of the negative post you and your new website have received over on JWN” – I personally don’t recommend JWN (Jehovahs-witness.net) to anybody. My experiences as “KDMensch” with my extremely important FBI posts before I was banned and deleted was that it is hostile and saturated with Watchtower operatives as well as run by an incompetent staff of Canadians who are purely “Hoser friendly” to the detriment of the serious interests that people are trying to convey. It was reported to the authorities for the potential threat that it is…

76. Jen says:

@Newly Enlightened: Who probably has the most interest in demolishing AAWA right from the beginning? Right, the Watchtower!

77. AWAKENOW says:

Erik – “I think I am like most jw’s and ex-jw’s in that my sense of trust has been very much shaken by my dealings with the wtbts who claim to care sooo much about me, but, they DON’T. So because of this fact, any organization that wants my support will want to be extremely transparent and responsive to and appreciative of all of the feedback that it gets! Anybody else out there agree with me?”

Absolutely.

78. JimmyG says:

A word of warning regarding the formation of an organisation. I quote from Ray Franz’ second book ‘In Search of Christian Freedom’ pages 555-6. He is quoting W J Brown, a former member of the British Parliament:

“Whether the organization be political, religious or social is immaterial….The point is, that the idea having embodied itself in organization, the organization then proceeds to slay the idea which gave it birth…..Any departure from the creed must be controverted and if necessary suppressed as heresy…..The organization comes to stand for the opposite of the idea which originally inspired it, is the tendency of men and women to become prisoners of the organization.”

The author was applying this to the Watchtower organisation, morphing over time to become something totally different from its original intent. Hence the danger of human organisation- even C T Russell said in 1895, ‘Beware of organisation’.

• Erik says:

Jimmy, well said. Does there have to BE an organization to fight against one? Can’t we just HIRE an outside organization to do the job? :) Also I don’t want to be part of any club that would accept me as a member…

79. Chuck D says:

As a witness since my early childhood, my mother married into a large witness family. At one time in the 70′s, the family proudly boasted having over 40 members in the truth and doing well. I and my family have experienced the first 2 issues, namely shunning by relatives – which has destroyed my family. And also child abuse mishandling, where the perpetrator was an elder who progressed to a circuit overseer before I got involved and started the process of getting him removed. However, both my sisters who this perpetrator molested are still disfellowshipped, while he is still at large. One got married and moved on with her life and the other is damaged mentally and in very bad shape. My parents who have 12 children only really talk to 2 of them because of all of this mess. I agree that an association should be started to help fight these type of oppressive wolves. I am against all the gag orders, and feel the truth should shine forth in regards to all evil organizations.
    I feel the energy should be put into negotiating compensation for victims and their families of these oppressive organizations. Thus counseling and help can be provided.

80. KtotheRAD "Konrad" says:

In my case, I was made to stand outside of the Kingdom Hall for months in the coldest winter of the century as a Disfellowshipped and disabled person. I endured physical violence and emotional abuse and lost all of my property was homeless for over 3 years and in transition from homelessness in Alaska and Mexico and back in Phoenix but wasn’t even disfellowshipped before most of that. At the hands of Mark Suddock and David Taylor and the Moon valley congregation with help from the Spanish North and Sierra Adobe and others.
    The slander and harassment I endured which culminated in banning from the Kingdom Hall with absolutely no basis whatsoever. All of this to control who I may talk to and who may talk to me within the perfectly lawful and appropriate guidelines of the scriptures and the “society’s instructions” which I followed to the letter and is documented with witnesses!, God’s law and man’s!
    That is the very, very short version! I could go on for hours!
    That’s just the last few years worth…the whole 30 years is rather a rerun…
    That’s my “spiritual paradise”
    It was reported to the good for nothing Phoenix Police who did absolutely NOTHING!
    However the FBI has it now along with everybody else’s and the whole big picture!

• David says:

Hopefully the FBI will take the required action against the elders who acted in a shameful way and disgraced Jehovah’s name.

81. KtotheRAD "Konrad" says:

Jehovah’s Witnesses and former Jehovah’s Witnesses both should view this short link and see the lengths that were taken to cover up JF Rutherford and his behavior. If that isn’t evidence of what you are dealing with then I don’t know what is…

82. Anonymous says:

as for the reports of the AAWA outing faded JWs on facebook? adding them to the group without the individuals knowledge?

if you’re going to take on the WT on grounds of morality, and how they treat dissenters, you have to be spotless in your own actions. they will use ANYTHING to vilify the group. this action only hurts the community of ex JWs who are still searching for a way out.

• Erik says:

Ha, ha! It’s not so easy being an organization. is it? After raising a family I’ve learned to treasure this quote; ‘If you want to have a happy family you’d best be prepared for the expression of a lot of UNhappiness!”-unknown. All of this relatively open commenting, even critisizing is evidence that people feel that AAWA is approachable, isn’t it?

83. David says:

I agree with putting our trust in Jehovah. I also know that Jehovah invites his fellow worshipers to express their opinions.

Jehovah Humbly Delegates and Listens.
    *** cl chap. 20 pp. 202-204 pars. 10-13 “Wise in Heart”—Yet Humble ***
    Furthermore, Jehovah listens. He once asked his angels to suggest various ways to bring about the downfall of wicked King Ahab. Jehovah did not need such help. Yet, he accepted the suggestion of one angel and commissioned him to follow through on it. (1 Kings 22:19-22) Was that not humble?
    11 Jehovah is even willing to listen to imperfect humans who desire to express their concerns. For instance, when Jehovah first told Abraham of His intention to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah, that faithful man was puzzled. “It is unthinkable of you,” Abraham said, adding: “Is the Judge of all the earth not going to do what is right?” He asked whether Jehovah would spare the cities if 50 righteous men could be found there. Jehovah assured him that He would. But Abraham asked again, lowering the number to 45, then 40, and so on. Despite Jehovah’s assurances, Abraham persisted until the number was as low as ten. Perhaps Abraham did not yet fully grasp how merciful Jehovah is. At any rate, Jehovah patiently and humbly allowed his friend and servant Abraham to express his concerns in this way.—Genesis 18:23-33.
    12 How many brilliant, learned humans would listen so patiently to a person of vastly inferior intelligence? Such is the humility of our God. During the same interchange, Abraham also came to see that Jehovah is “slow to anger.” (Exodus 34:6) Perhaps realizing that he had no right to question the doings of the Most High, Abraham twice begged: “May Jehovah, please, not grow hot with anger.” (Genesis 18:30, 32) Of course, Jehovah did not. He truly does have the “mildness that belongs to wisdom.”
    Jehovah Is Reasonable
    13 Jehovah’s humility is manifest in yet another beautiful quality—reasonableness. This quality is sadly lacking among imperfect humans. Not only is Jehovah willing to listen to his intelligent creatures but he is also willing to yield when there is no conflict with righteous principles. As used in the Bible, the word “reasonable” literally means “yielding.” This quality too is a hallmark of divine wisdom. James 3:17 says: “The wisdom from above is . . . reasonable.” In what sense is the all-wise Jehovah reasonable? For one thing, he is adaptable. Remember, his very name teaches us that Jehovah causes himself to become whatever is needed in order to fulfill his purposes. (Exodus 3:14) Does that not indicate a spirit of adaptability and reasonableness?

I thought it would be better for me to cite thereference which shows there is nothing wrong with raising questions. Jehovah is a humble and reasonable God.

84. David says:

KtotheRAD “Konrad”
    Does it take an alliance of men to oppose them? I think not!

Jehovah Humbly Delegates and Listens.
    *** cl chap. 20 pp. 202-204 pars. 10-13 “Wise in Heart”—Yet Humble ***
    Furthermore, Jehovah listens. He once asked his angels to suggest various ways to bring about the downfall of wicked King Ahab. Jehovah did not need such help. Yet, he accepted the suggestion of one angel and commissioned him to follow through on it. (1 Kings 22:19-22) Was that not humble?
    12 How many brilliant, learned humans would listen so patiently to a person of vastly inferior intelligence? Such is the humility of our God. During the same interchange, Abraham also came to see that Jehovah is “slow to anger.” (Exodus 34:6) Perhaps realizing that he had no right to question the doings of the Most High, Abraham twice begged: “May Jehovah, please, not grow hot with anger.” (Genesis 18:30, 32) Of course, Jehovah did not. He truly does have the “mildness that belongs to wisdom.”
    Jehovah Is Reasonable
    13 Jehovah’s humility is manifest in yet another beautiful quality—reasonableness. This quality is sadly lacking among imperfect humans. Not only is Jehovah willing to listen to his intelligent creatures but he is also willing to yield when there is no conflict with righteous principles. As used in the Bible, the word “reasonable” literally means “yielding.” This quality too is a hallmark of divine wisdom. James 3:17 says: “The wisdom from above is . . . reasonable.” In what sense is the all-wise Jehovah reasonable? For one thing, he is adaptable. Remember, his very name teaches us that Jehovah causes himself to become whatever is needed in order to fulfill his purposes. (Exodus 3:14) Does that not indicate a spirit of adaptability and reasonableness?

85. David says:

Based on my terrible experience with the elders my dad and I worked with and our CO (I called him the Devil’s agent right to his face and threatened to charge him withy harssment), many times elders are the ones who cause trouble for the Society and then the Society looks bad. I hope to contact Cedars and share my experience.

86. Erik says:

I am one who was cheated by an elder in business, then when I attempted to show him his “error” in calculating his work and his expenses, I was treated with disgust and contempt by the other elders at his khall for finally taking it to Cesar’s court.
    Does anyone know of class action suits against the wtbts in America? Are there any being planned, and if so, what kind would they be?

87. Hi Chuck, I am of similar background as you with the same two issues and experiences. But WOW: twelve children ? What a prize for the WT to cause so much trouble for your sisters and the rest of your family. I am sure they are quite self-exonerous and proud of themselves for wronging you as they have done.
    I dont say much anymore except that I am tired of religious leaders who are duped by demons and evil men who turn on me and expect me to blindly have their same brand of “loyalty” that they possess. I have written til I am blue in the face about the evils of destructive sectarianism, appointed child molesters at large, and the sorceries of the pioneer spirit since 1992, and am settled that it is the most useless effort in the eyes of God and men. Tell your sisters you love them, because in the end, I am sure that is what they really want to know.

88. Erik says:

Susanna, What is going on with Barbara and her lawyers?

89. Erik says:

Yes, thank you for bringing that out, the God of the bible asks us for our ideas. Beautiful!

90. I’m not saying that the Watchtower doesn’t deserve to be taken on by most ex-JW’s and currently disgruntled ones alike, and in my internet browsing experience since 1995 I can say that I understand many of the problems that cause the anger and frustration that we all experience due to their policies. However, I must say that forming an organization as a united front against them will simply make it easier for them to ignore you. I think that is why Jehovah used individual prophets who bore the ill-treatment willingly while dwelling in tents and caves of the earth. God bless all who have truly suffered from Watchtower policy, but I wish nothing but failure for those who simply wish to beat the hornets nest and cause the sting of Watchtower leaders against our family members who remain inside the org’, yet still have a heart for their disfellowshipped ones who are currentlty deposed and held in derision by local elders who are ruled by fear and paranoia. These are more dangerous than even the false teachers and prophets whom they excuse and support.

91. Bella says:

Thank you Cedars, I just started reading over this site and these type of comments were getting upsetting. I was dfed about 5 months ago, because I confessed something I did, not got caught, confessed. So they ‘read my heart’ and found that it wasn’t repentant enough…isn’t that the definition of confession?? So I have a mother, a cancer stricken sister and an oldest son still in it and who do no speak with me. Nice organization, lots of love there. Just tell me what you guys need to support this and I will do what I can to help.
    Thank you!

92. Bella says:

Noooo, I say bring down the castle! who’s is with me on that??

93. enlightened says:

Our family was instrumental in the forming of our congregation. We were good salespeople.
    Now the Wt. has ruined our family……………members don’t speak to each other, it is very sad……….This is a destructive Wt. organization. Publishers say we are squealing that no one will talk to us because we are morally corrupt. NOT SO…………we just questioned their authority. We are NOT losers…………we speak against evil practises.

94. k.chambes says:

Hi Cedars, this chap Frank V makes some excellent, reasonable points. He did not at all give me the impression “violence” was on his agenda as you imply. Then you end up threatening him! Bullying someone who cares enough to voice his legitimate concerns is unacceptable. Am I to receive a threat of excommunication for speaking out of turn?
    Kind regards, kc

• Cedars says:

Welcome kc. I never accused Frank V of having a violent agenda, I merely noted that he implied that I (or AAWA) had one through his deliberately inflammatory comments in the wake of AAWA’s launch, which he opposed. I won’t be “excommunicating” you as you put it (a ridiculous and frankly insulting analogy to apply to a website, by the way) – I will simply urge you to read comments more carefully in future so that you can avoid repeating your mistake and looking quite so silly.

95. skally says:

Cannot believe I missed such a brilliant, on-point comment from “Jen”:

___

THIS is exactly what WTBTS is. A wall that was built for destruction.

~~Raises a glass to Jen~~

96. skally says:

I just replied to Jen, yet it is not showing up cedars. Yet, yesterday my post on another topic, submitted immediately. Meaning, you were not able to ‘screen’ them until today; and are now screening my comments as to whether you think anyone else has the right, as Jen, to read them.

Am I correct in my assumptions here, sir?

~skally~

• Cedars says:

Skally, no you’re not correct. I’m not screening comments unless a comment breaches the posting guidelines. I apologise if there are certain inconsistencies thrown up by our spam filter. It provides an invaluable service in shielding this site from an almost relentless barrage of spam, but it has its idiosyncracies. Please bear with us.

97. skally says:

Willow,

Thank you for your contribution here, which did not get any response as to the merit it holds. Allow me to re-iterate for the newer viewers:

____
    ~skally~

98. skally says:

Jen,

For the newer viewers, who may have passed by or not seen this masterful way of catergorizing the ideology of the WTBTS, please consider Jen’s post above:

_______

Thank you Jen. It is highly refreshing to see that some really do ‘get it, in all of Its entirety.

~skally~

99. skally says:

Thank you for the timely reply cedars.

It is good to Know that I am not being unduly censored here. Yet, I do have saved posts that I submitted here on other topics that were indeed deleted, or was ‘glitched’ in some way. I usually save all postings, anywhere I post, so that in these instances, they are not lost on the superhighway somewhere.

Good day.

~skally~

100. k.chambes says:

Unless this is not a Christian website, the threat of excluding someone for disagreeing could quite rightly be called excommunicating. The Watchtower are harming enough children daily so as to be recognised as a non-Christian cult but i’ll bet you are happy to use the term when they exclude another because their view differed. Don’t be like a Watchtower Elder please?

• Cedars says:

k.c. – a small tip for you, if you want to make friends on a new site, don’t go attacking the ones running it with outrageous accusations right off the starting block. If you have anything remotely to do with Jehovah’s Witnesses you will know how ridiculous it is to compare being blocked from a website to being shunned by one’s family. Making such a juvenile and far-fetched analogy tramples on the feelings and sensitivies of those like me for whom shunning is a very real and painful thing. I would sooner be blocked by a hundred websites than be shunned for one day by a loved one. Please cease this stupidity or I will be only too pleased to help you test out your theory.

101. KtotheRAD "Konrad" aka Kurt Hennig says:

David says:

On April 23, 2013 at 1:38 pm:

“Hopefully the FBI will take the required action against the elders who acted in a shameful way and disgraced Jehovah’s name”

Well, that’s where we are with that…

102. Erik says:

I guess that public bickering is a part of the costs of freedom. But why not use the PM (private messaging) option to snipe at each other, or to better yet; work out our petty annoyances and misunderstandings with each other?

103. Janine Garcia says:

Hi Skally,

We are filing a complaint, with several of the offices within the UN, that are not listed on the petition. There are a number of human rights “articles” that we are addressing; i.e. the right to have no one interfere with your family. Copies of the “complaint” will be submitted to all the appropriate offices within the UN that handle the matter.

104. Thank you for sharing valuable information. Nice post. I enjoyed reading this post. The whole blog is very nice found some good stuff and good information here Thanks..Also visit my page Affordable Accountants Auckland

Add Comment Register